Ukraineatpresent.com - information about Ukraine  

Ukraine

 >

Northern Ukraine

 >

Zhytomyr oblast

 >

Andrushivka

About Ukraine
Ukrainian Airlines
Ukrainian Women
Ukrainian Dating
Travelling around Ukraine
Ukrainian History
Northern Ukraine
Zhytomyr oblast
Kyiv oblast
Chernihiv oblast
Sumy oblast
Western Ukraine
Central Ukraine
Eastern Ukraine
Southern Ukraine

Andrushivka

District Centre
District Centre
Andrushivka (9,400 residents) is a regional center located on the high left bank of Huiva River. Archeologists found relics of a Cherniakhiv culture settlement in its outskirts (middle of the first millennium). The historical records mention Andrushivka (the present name is a Polish transformation of an original one) in 1683 among villages devoid of buildings. At the end of the 17th c. the village passed into ownership of the Polish family of Berzinskis. The first sugar-refinery in Zhytomyr area was built in Andrushivka inl848; in 1859 it became a town. Sugar manufacturer A. Tereshchenko bought this count's wonderful manor on the bang of the pond in 1869. In 1873, the sugar-refinery, a few buildings of which are still there, were rebuilt and mechanized. The park expanded, and the rebuilt palace acquired forms of French neo-renaissance. The Soviets nationalized the manor and stationed their 1st Cavalry Headquarters in 1920. The palace underwent reconstruction in 1975, and now there is the Andrushivka high school.


 
 PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE
Zhytomyr
Zhytomyr
  Berdychiv
Berdychiv
 
 FEATURES