Ukraineatpresent.com - information about Ukraine  

Ukraine

 >

Northern Ukraine

 >

Chernihiv oblast

 >

Chernihiv

About Ukraine
Ukrainian Airlines
Ukrainian Women
Ukrainian Dating
Travelling around Ukraine
Ukrainian History
Northern Ukraine
Zhytomyr oblast
Kyiv oblast
Chernihiv oblast
Sumy oblast
Western Ukraine
Central Ukraine
Eastern Ukraine
Southern Ukraine

Chernihiv

The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Christ
The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Christ
Chernihiv is one of the oldest cities (298,900 residents) of Ukraine, oblast and regional center located on the high right bank of Desna River. In the seventh and eighth centuries, there were a few Slavic settlements on this territory. Later they joined and formed Chernihiv, which chronicles mentioned in 907. Among early relics, there are tumuli on Boldin Hills and elsewhere. Legendary founder of the town Prince Chorny was presumably buried in a tomb under the Chorny Tumulus (lOthc). In 1873, the obelisk was erected on the mound. Chernihiv principality emerged in 1024 triggering construction development; several buildings can still be seen. The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Christ was erected in the walled city center in the first half of the lithe. There was the burial chamber of Chernihiv princes. In the same century Yeletsky (1027-1076) and Trinity and St. Elijah (1069) monasteries were founded. The last one, founded by Anthony Pechersky, except for surface buildings had Anthony's 300 m - long caves with underground churches. In the 12th c. the St. Parascene church was erected. In 1239, the Mongols seized and ruined Chernihiv disrupting its development for over a century. The Duchy of Lithuania took over the city in the middle of the 14th c. In 1445-1495, the Yeletsky Convent and Dormition Cathedral (12th c.) were rebuilt. In 1531-1534, the permanent fortification was built to last for almost three centuries. There are only twelve cast-iron bastion cannons left now on the ramparts. Under the Deulin armistice Chernihiv went (1618) to Rzeczpospolita. In 1623 it gets the Magdeburg Right and starts expanding; the process considerably accelerated under the rule of Muscovy (1654). The Trinity and St. Elijah monastery was rebuilt (1649); the project included the restoration of St. Elijah Church (1069), erection of the Presentation-in-the-Temple Church (1677), Holy Trinity Cathedral (1679-1695), and 58-meter monaste-rial belltower (1774-1775). At the end of the 17th c. Chernihiv became the major city of the Left-Bank Ukraine. The most interesting architectural monuments include such civil buildings as the premises of regimental office (17th c, Ya. Lyzohub's house), and Malorussian Collegium (1700) - the premises of the former Sts Boris and Hlib Monastery. The prominent buildings for public worship include the St. Catherine Church (1715), belltower and kellions (17thc.) of Yeletsky Monastery. The church built on a hill near the fortress commemorated the Chernihiv regiment, which stormed the fortress of Azov during the Russo-Turkish war. In 1678 a printing-house was founded in Chernihiv; from 1689 the archiepis-copate promoted the Slavic-Latin school. From 1648 Chernihiv was the regimental center, from 1782 - the governor's seat, and from 1802 - the center of the province. In the downtown, there are many buildings of the 18th and 19th centuries, which enliven the severe Soviet architectural style. Tourists love to come and see this cluster of famous monuments.


 
 PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE
    Baturyn
Baturyn
 
 FEATURES