Ivano-Frankivs'k is the administrative center of Ivano-Frankivs'k Region. The area of the region is 13,900 sq km. The area is a part of the ethnographic zone called Halychyna (Galychyna, Galicia).
Most of the territory is mountainous. Population of the region is 1,458,000 (over 95% are Ukrainians). Population of Ivano-Frankivsk is 246,000.
Built on the site of the village of Zabolottya, in 1662 (during the period of Polish reign) it was named Stanisla-wow.
In 1772, as the rest of Galicia, it came under the power of the Austrian (from 1867 on — Austro-Hungarian) Empire. In October 1918 the Austro-Hungarian Empire collapsed, and the Western Ukrainian Peoples Republic (ZUNR) was proclaimed, but in summer 1919 the western Ukraine and Stanislawow were annexed by Poland.
In September 1939, as the result of the division of Poland by Berlin and Moscow, the western Ukraine became a part of the USSR. From 1941 till 1944 it was under the Nazi occupation. From 1944 the western Ukraine together with the rest of Ukraine was a part of the USSR till August 1991.
In 1962 the city was named after the famous Ukrainian writer, Slav scholar and philosopher — Ivan Franko.
Places of Interest
The places of interest in Ivano-Frankivsk include: Roman-Catholic Cathedral (1672-1703); Armenian Church (1742) and Resurrection Cathedral (1753) (they are samples of baroque style); the City Hall (1695).
There are also the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Local History.