Ukraineatpresent.com - information about Ukraine  

Ukraine

 >

Northern Ukraine

 >

Zhytomyr oblast

 >

Novograd Volynsky

About Ukraine
Ukrainian Airlines
Ukrainian Women
Ukrainian Dating
Travelling around Ukraine
Ukrainian History
Northern Ukraine
Zhytomyr oblast
Kyiv oblast
Chernihiv oblast
Sumy oblast
Western Ukraine
Central Ukraine
Eastern Ukraine
Southern Ukraine

Novograd Volynsky

Novograd Volynsky
Novograd Volynsky
Novograd Volynsky (55,800 residents) is an oblast level city and regional center located on the steep rocky banks of Sluch. The Ipatyivsky Chronicle recorded Zviagel (first name) in 1257 as a city of Halych-and-Volyn Principality. The Zwiagelskis Dukes owned this Lithuania--controlled city from the mid-14th ? In 1502 Duke K. Ostrozky got it as a present and initiated building a castle on the high steep riverbank in five years. After formation of Rzeczpospolita Zviagel was controlled by Poland; Catholics began proselytizing and built a church here in 1600. During The Liberation War of Ukrainian people in 1648 M. Kryvonis led his detachment to ruin the castle, church and oust Poles. The ruins of Zviagel fortified castle still stand on the high steep granite bank of Sluch. In the 20s of the 18th c. Liubomirski dukes came to administer the city. When Russian Empire annexed the Right-Bank Ukraine the tsar's government bought the city (1793) from the owners intending to make it an administrative center of the newly-established Volyn province. The city was even renamed for that matter as Novograd Volynsky in 1796; however, the lack of premises for the new administration frustrated the idea and Zhytomyr was chosen instead. There was M. Kutuzov's headquarters in Novograd Volynsky in 1806; the military units billeted in this borderland ever since, which determined the appearance of the town. Major Ukrainian writer Larysa Kosach-Kvitka (1871-1913), better known as Lesia Ukrainka, was born in Novograd Volynsky. She lived here for 8 years, before her parents moved to Kolodiazhne. There are still two houses where the Kosaches lived; one of them houses a literary-memorial museum. Sculptor V. Dyachenko erected a monument to Lesia Ukrainka (1971) there. The wind erosion produced such geological wonder on the right bank as the Stone Mushroom of the rose granite boulder.


 
 PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE
Nova Chortoryya
Nova Chortoryya
  Olevsk
Olevsk
 
 FEATURES