The Olesky Castle, situated near the settlement of Olesk, 72 kilometres from L'viv, is a notable monument to the architecture of the 14th through the 17th centuries. The first mention of the castle in historical sourses was in 1327.
The Olesky Castle played an important role in the people's figft against enslavement. During the second part of the 15th century the castle lost its significance as a fortress and turned into a residence of rich families. The end of the 18-19th century was a period of decay and devastation of the castle. The two world wars completed the destructive process, reducing the castle to ruins. Later the Olesky Castle was restored, and it became a museum.
The museum numbers about five hundreds works of painting, and sculpture of the 10th through 18th centuries. Some exhibits are dated and signed, the result of investigation and research. Other have yet to be researched.
Architectural relics are generally referred to as a stone pages of history. And indeed, the Olesky Castle can tell volumes to an inquisitive researcher of the time of its creation and the way of life and tastes of its creators.