|Oster (6,700 residents) Kozelets district, is situated on the left bank at the inflow of Oster into Desna River. Kyiv Prince Volodymyr Monomakh founded the settlement in 1098. Halfway between Kyiv and Chernihiv, Oster (Horodets Ostretsky at the time) was a kind of intermediary between the local princes. In 1136, it went under Vladimir-Suzdal Prince Yuri Dolgoruki, a son of Monomakh. He had founded Moscow by the time and claimed the right to Kyiv; he used Oster as a fortress for a military buildup. The landmarks of the distant past include ramparts, ditches and Yuri (or Starohorod) Icon Location named after its princely founder. In fact, it is a sanctuary and frescos of the church (1120-1152). It is the only landmark built in a province and not a known center of Kyivan Rus.