Ukraineatpresent.com - information about Ukraine  

Ukraine

 >

Northern Ukraine

 >

Chernihiv oblast

 >

Pryluky

About Ukraine
Ukrainian Airlines
Ukrainian Women
Ukrainian Dating
Travelling around Ukraine
Ukrainian History
Northern Ukraine
Zhytomyr oblast
Kyiv oblast
Chernihiv oblast
Sumy oblast
Western Ukraine
Central Ukraine
Eastern Ukraine
Southern Ukraine

Pryluky

The Holy Transfiguration Cathedral
The Holy Transfiguration Cathedral
Pryluky (60,600 residents) is an oblast-level regional center situated on the banks of Udai River. It is one of the oldest cities of Ukraine; the first record of it in Ipatiivsky Chronicle dated 1092. It was the southeast outpost of Kyivan Rus against the Polovtsys. The Pereyaslav principality controlled it from the second half of the 12thc. The hordes of Batu Khan devastated the town in 1239; from the mid-14thc. it was under Lithuania, and from 1569 under Rzeczpospolita. In 1590, Pryluky were presented to the princes of Vishnevetskys; after Muscovy had annexed Ukrainian lands in 1654, the town became a regimental center with its own townhall with power split between Kozak starshy-na and elected bodies. The higher status increased economic development of the town. The old fortress was replaced by a new one, which combined now the oldest civil buildings and buildings for public worship. The regimental treasury (1709), as an arsenal and storage of Kozak property, is a unique baroques civil building. In 1719, by tsar's decree, I. Galagan became the Pryluky Colonel.

His family sponsored completion of the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral (1705-1720) and St. Nicholas Church bell-tower (1720) within the limits of fortress. Much later (in the 19th c), when status of the town was downgraded to the district level, the rest of surviving town temples—the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (1806-1815) and the Church of the Feast of the Purification (1889)—were built. The latter has been used as the museum of local lore, history and economy for many years. There are a few nineteenth-century civil buildings, including the treasury building, in which Panas Myrny the known Ukrainian writer, worked in 1865-1867.


 
 PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE
Oster
Oster
  Sedniv
Sedniv
 
 FEATURES