Ukraineatpresent.com - information about Ukraine  

Ukraine

 >

Northern Ukraine

 >

Sumy oblast

 >

Putyvl

About Ukraine
Ukrainian Airlines
Ukrainian Women
Ukrainian Dating
Travelling around Ukraine
Ukrainian History
Northern Ukraine
Zhytomyr oblast
Kyiv oblast
Chernihiv oblast
Sumy oblast
Western Ukraine
Central Ukraine
Eastern Ukraine
Southern Ukraine

Putyvl

The Movchansky Monastery
The Movchansky Monastery
Putyvl (16,700 residents) is a regional center located on the high right bank of River Seim. The Ipatiivsky Chronicle mentioned Putyvl for the first time in 1146 while describing domestic wars of princes. One of the most poetic pages of outstanding Old Rus epic The ? of Igor's Campaign (1187) is about Putyvl (famous Weep of Yaroslavna, wife of Novhorod Siversky Prince Igor Sviatoslavych). In 1356, Putyvl belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and from 1500 to the Muscovy. In the second half of the l6thc, it was one of sixteen cities as a part of frontline fortifications of the southern steppe border of the Muscovy. In the past the trade route, which linked Ukraine and Russia, led through the city. In the 17th and 18thc, Putyvl grows into an important economic, trading and military center in the south of Russia. After conclusion of peace treaties with Turkey (1681) and Poland (1686), the military importance of the city expired, but economy continued to develop for another century. Wonderful architectural buildings appeared in Putyvl at that very time Today there are still several buildings of Movchansky Monastery (16th—19th c.) on the near-Seim hilltop: the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God and gateway belltower (1602-1604), refectory with the tower (17th c.), and walls and towers (early 17th c). The Cathedral of Holy Transfiguration (1617-1693) and the gateway Bell-tower Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (1707) were built in the 17th c. In the next century the townspeople sponsored the construction of the Church of St. Nicholas Patron of Kozaks (1737) built in the best traditions of Ukrainian architecture of the 18th c.

Putyvl was also connected with one important event of the Great Patriotic War. In 1941, Commander S. Kovpak and Commissar S. Rudnev formed a partisan unit, which afterwards grew into the biggest partisan formation on the occupied territory of the FSU. The partisans took up armed resistance in the rears of enemy, instilled terror into fascist invaders, and fought their eighteen-thousand-kilome-ter way to the Carpathians. In the city there arc monuments to S. Rudnev (1961) and S. Kovpak (1971).


 
 PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE
Okhtyrka
Okhtyrka
  Pyrohivka
Pyrohivka
 
 FEATURES