Ukraineatpresent.com - information about Ukraine  

Ukraine

 >

Northern Ukraine

 >

Sumy oblast

 >

Romny

About Ukraine
Ukrainian Airlines
Ukrainian Women
Ukrainian Dating
Travelling around Ukraine
Ukrainian History
Northern Ukraine
Zhytomyr oblast
Kyiv oblast
Chernihiv oblast
Sumy oblast
Western Ukraine
Central Ukraine
Eastern Ukraine
Southern Ukraine

Romny

The monument to T. Shevchenko
The monument to T. Shevchenko
The oldest oblast city of Romny (46,400 residents) is a regional center located on the banks of Sula and its influx Romen River. Volodymyr Monomakh was the first to mention the settlement as Romen in his Precepts in 1096. Then it belonged to the Pereyaslav principality of Kyivan Rus. From the 14th to 17th c, Romny as a boundary city was controlled in turn by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Muscovy and Rzeczpospolita. During the Northern War in 1708, there was the headquarters of Swedish King Charles XII. The traditional trade fairs used convenient geographical position of Romny in the 18th and 19th c. From 1781 it became the district center of Chernihiv governance, Malorussian from 1796, and Poltava from 1802. Romny boasts many Orthodox buildings for public worship built in the 18th c. The Cathedral of Holy Spirit (1738-1747) tops the hill near the old fortified settlement. Its belltower (17 51 -1780) stands nearby; in the 19th c, it was remade as the Church of St. Basil.

The Church of the Ascension and belltower (1797) are the most striking and complex buildings for public worship in Romny. There is an original and expressive monument to T. Shevchenko (1918) (sculptor I. Kavaleridze); it is one of the best monuments to the poet in Ukraine. The mayor of Romny initiated erection of the most unusual monument in the Taras Shevchenko city park in 2000: the monument to a pig, which helped Ukrainians to survive during devastating raids of Tatars, the religious directions of which tabooed pork as a meal. Romny has the regional museum, near the walls of which there is an enormous granite boulder brought here by a glacier from Scandinavia 150-200 thousand years ago.


 
 PREVIOUS PAGE NEXT PAGE
Pyrohivka
Pyrohivka
  Trostianets
Trostianets
 
 FEATURES