|Shchors (11,600 residents) is a regional center on the left bank of Snov River. After abolition of serfdom throughout Russia in 1861, villager Korzh founded the Korzhivka Hamlet in a thick forest. The station of Snovsk and locomotive depot were built alongside the new railroad Gomel-Bakhmach. Therewith the forest hamlet began to quickly expand and turned into a working settlement. In 1895, Mykola Shchors, a civil war hero, was born here. In 1918 in Snovsk he led the revolutionary army detachment, which helped him to go all the way up and became the commander of the 1st Ukrainian Soviet Division. He helped Bolshevik invaders to dislodge Ukrainian troops of Petliura from Chernihiv, Kyiv and Fastiv; he was killed in action near Korosten in 1919. In 1950s, his house-museum and monument to him were inaugurated in the city. Then monuments to him were erected all over the country. Only in his hometown, there were four monuments to M. Shchors. The best-known monument was erected in Kyiv in 1954; by the twist of fate student L. Kravchuk, future first president of independent Ukraine, sat to the sculptor.