Uzhgorod is the administrative centre of the most southwestern region of Ukraine Transcarpathian Region (Za-karpatska Oblast). The city stands on the banks of Uzh River. The population of Uzhgorod is 125,000 people.
Uzhhorod was mentioned in the chronicles as early as 872 AD.
The city changed names several times: it has been called Ongvar, Hungvar, Un-guyvar and Ungvar. A mighty fortress protected the city of Uzhgorod.
At the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th centuries the majority of Uzhgorod's population lived on fifteen streets on the right bank. Population of Uzhgorod at that time was around 3,000 people. 335 houses and buildings were built in the city between 1794 and 1819.
In 1919 Uzhgorod became the center of Transcarpathian Rus, under the rule of Czechoslovakia. In the fall of 1938, the capital of Carpathian Ukraine, and in 1949, the center of the Transcarpathian region of the Ukrainian SSR.
Among Uzhhorod fine churches, one will find irresistibly cute the candy-coloured Russian Orthodox, while the impressive twin-towered 17th century Cathedral up on the hill prove attractions also not to be missed. Cathedral was built in 1646 as a main element of the Jesuits Order monastery complex. Originally, the building of the Cathedral looked like basilica.
You can easily find many different architectural styles in the old part of the city: modern, baroque, classic, etc. Old center of Uzhgorod has approximately ten architectural styles.