Vasylkiv is a town (pop 36,000) on the Stuhna River and a district center in Kyiv province. According to the chronicles it was founded in 988 by Volody-myr the Great — who, it is believed, was christened there — and was named Vasyliv after his new Christian name.
In the llth century a fort was built there, and the town became an important defense arid trade center. In 1240 it was destroyed by the Mongols, and declined to village size. In 1796. it was promoted to town status and made a county center of Kyiv gubernia. In 1825 the local units of the Cherkasy regiment took part in the Decembrist revolt. By the mid-19th century the town was an active, manufacturing and trading center with a population of 11,000.
Today it is an industrial town with a refrigerator, plant, an electrical-appliance factory and a leather factory. Its architectural monuments include the baroque St. Anthony and Theodosius Church and bell tower (1756-9) and St. Nickolos's Church (1729).