Architect Vincent Beretti, born June 1781, died August 18, 1842, in Kyiv. In 1798-1804 Beretti studied at the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts. In the 1809 he became a member of the academy and in 1831 a professor. With T. de Thomon he built the stock exchange in St. Petersburg. Beretti prepared a project for reconstructing a part of Kyiv and constructed several buildings there, including the university buildings (1837-43), the observatory (1840), and the Institute for Daughters of the Nobility (1839-43). All these buildings are designed in the classical style.
Alexander Beretti, born 1816 in St. Petersburg, died 1895 in Kyiv. Architect, academician from 1840, the son of V. Beretti. Beretti studied from 1827 at the Academy of Arts in St. Petersburg, became a full member in 1840, and taught the history of architecture at Kyiv University. In 1850 he built the first Kyivan gymnasium, which today houses the humanities faculty of Kyiv University. He was also the co-designer of St. Volodyrayr's Cathedral in Kyiv (1850-96) and designed a number of school buildings in the cities of Ukraine.