The city of Dnepropetrovs'k is situated on the river Dnipro (Dnepr or Dnieper) in the Central Ukraine. Population — 1.2 million.
Large and beautiful, it is the main city of Central-East Ukraine. This constant fortress settlement has existed since the middle of the 16th century. The new town was founded in 1776 by the Russian duke, Potemkin by order of Catherine II, Empress of the Russian Empire and was called Katerinoslav from 1776. During 1918 the towns name was Sicheslav (The Glory for Sich' / Fortress of Cossacks).
In 1926 the city of Katerynoslav was renamed — Dnipropetrovs'k had appeared... The Dnipropetrovs'k city name consists of two words: "Dnipro" (Dnipro River) and "Petrovs'k" (named for Petrovs'kiy). Grygoriy Petrovs'kiy (1878-1958) was the first Soviet Parliament leader of the new communist Ukrainian republic.
Dnepropetrovs'k has been the major center of the steel industry from the beginning of the 20th century until the present. It has also been dominant in the spacebuilding industry since the 1950s. Today the city is the main trade and industrial center of East Ukraine. There are 11 universities, academies and institutes in Dnepropetrovs'k.
Construction of the Metro (underground, subway) was completed in late 1995. International airport (direct lines from Vienna, Frankfurt on Maine, Istanbul, Tel Aviv, Moscow etc.).