Lutsk is the administrative center of the Volyn region (area 20,200 sq km, population 1,075,000, the population of Lutsk 214,500). It is an area in the north-west of Ukraine, covered with thick forests with numerous lakes, swamps and rivers.
In the 7-10th centuries the area was inhabited by Slav tribes. In the 10th century Volyn became a part of Kyiv Rus, and in the 12th of Galicia-Volyn Principality.
14-16th centuries under Lithuania, 16-18th under Poland. 1797-1921 a part of Russia. 1921-39 under Poland. From 1939 till 1991 USSR (excluding the period of the Nazi occupation).
The first mention of Lutsk (Luchesk) dates back to 1085. In mid-12th century one of the biggest cities of Galicia-Volyn Principality. Under the Lithuanian reign was considered the unofficial capital of the Great Principality of Lithuania.
In 1429 the meeting of the European kings, who discussed their strategy againsy Turkey, was held in Lutsk.
The standard city tour usually includes: the 13-14th century castle (one of towers is now the Museum of Bells); some monasteries, churches and cathedrals (16th to 18th centuries).